We are so excited to see you in Costa Rica in just a few days! For those of you that have booked portraits, we wanted to take a moment and share some of our tips for what to pack and prep for your portraits.
(still need to book? Click here to book a portrait with us!)
Planning for a portrait shoot in Costa Rica probably feels like a daunting task, especially since we will be traveling from the United States during the tropical heat of late February. We have been shooting portraits for 13+ years, and have done so all over the world. You are in very good hands, and we are going to show you here a little bit that you can do now to make it the best portrait experience you have had. So, here are some tips to help you pack and prepare for your upcoming portrait shoot and make the most out of your branding opportunity.
Section 1: Clothing
- Lightweight and breathable fabrics are ideal for the tropical heat, so opt for natural fibers such as cotton, linen, or bamboo.
- Pack a few comfortable and professional outfits that reflect your brand’s personality and color scheme.
- Feel free to bring one more outfit than you are thinking, we can help make suggestions on some different options.
- If you are quick, we will have time to hop in and out of a couple outfit (depending on the session length you picked).
- But, be aware we always say, the more time we are changing, the less we are shooting. So, be quick, we want to make sure we are focused on getting the most out of your session.
- Color is a big part of an outfit … which leads us to…
Section 2: Color Choice
- Based on the images from the hotel (we have not been), we can assume that there will be a lot of greens, blues, and creams in the backgrounds. This will lend itself to a beautiful color palette. Consider incorporating complementary or contrasting colors in your outfits to create visual interest and help you stand out.
- These colors might include blacks and neutrals, but let you know your brand best, so if you are known for loud colors? Bring them! We can always find a more neutral background for a louder outfit.
- We generally suggest you lean away from complex patterns or anything so busy that it distracts from your personality. When in doubt, bring it, but also a simple backup.
Section 2: Accessories
- Speaking of which: Jewelry is similar. If you are wearing jewelry, choose something simple and minimalistic that won’t detract from your brand’s message or overpower the portraits.
- If you wear glasses, consider bringing a non-reflective pair to avoid glare or reflections in the photos. Alternatively, contacts are an option, but we DO want your clients to recognize you.
- Bring a small touch-up kit with a powder, blotting papers, and lip balm to keep your skin looking fresh and matte in the heat.
Section 4: Confidence
- Come to the portrait shoot with the confidence that you want your clients to see. Remember that you are the expert in your field and we, as your photographers, are here to capture your best self.
- Trust that your photographer is great at their job and is there to make sure that you are comfortable and able to shine in the portraits.
- Your photographer is there to guide you through the process fully, so don’t worry about knowing what to do with your hands or your face. That is their job, and they will give you direction as needed.
- Most people come into a shoot feeling like they are “awkward” or “don’t know how to have their picture taken,” but with the guidance of your photographer, you can leave feeling like a pro.
- Remember to relax, breathe, and have fun during the portrait shoot. We will help create natural and authentic portraits that truly showcase your brand as a therapist.
With these tips in mind, you can be confident and prepared for your portrait shoot in Costa Rica. By packing appropriately for the tropical climate, choosing the right accessories, considering color choices, and having the right mindset, you can showcase your brand as a therapist in a beautiful and professional way.
Have not booked your portrait? Check out our Thrive Portraits page for details, prices, and a contact form to help you book your session!